Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Glacier Tanks Tri-Clamp RIMS Tube

Good day!

As part of my brewery upgrade, I am adding RIMS (recirculating infusion mash system) capability. Using my picnic cooler mash tun, I would lose several degrees over the course of a mash. I sort of resolved this by throwing a parka over top of it; this reduced the amount of temperature loss, but still looks bush league.

Since I am converting to electric anyways, I wanted to add a RIMS tube.

Initially I was looking at the tube from Stout Tanks and Kettles. It retails for $149 bucks; it looks pretty awesome.

Then I stumbled across the Glacier Tanks website. They list two versions - the 1.5" and the 2". Both are 304 stainless (though I didn't ask for any mill test reports to verify).

With the 1.5" listed at $89 dollars, I couldn't pass it up. This gets you the two piece tube and seals and clamps for all connections. I also purchased some hose adapters and a 1/2" NPT adapter for a temperature sensor. I was very excited to get my hands on my first legit stainless and tri-clamp brewing gear.

I was not disappointed.

When I unboxed the tube, it was very well packed. Everything was individually bubble wrapped, then surrounded by those annoying packing peanuts.

The tube itself is beautiful. Even my wife said it looks awesome. It is stamped "Glacier Tanks, SS304, China".

All welds are nicely ground down and look beautiful. The only defect I can see without going to the trouble of mag particle or liquid penetrant is one very small pore on the intake weld. This weld porosity looks extremely minor. I doubt it will leak, and will eventually have my weld inspector buddy have a looka at it to verify that it is no big deal.

Overall, I am initially impressed. It makes me what to have as much stainless and as many tri-clamps as possible in my brewery. When I put it into use I will provide an update.

No comments:

Post a Comment