Sunday, December 2, 2012

Making Coffee... Engineering Style

I love coffee. The two main ways I enjoy coffee are via drip (when I want quantity) and French Press (when I want quality).
My typical process for brewing French Press is as follows:
  • Course grind 1 tablespoon per 4 ounces of water - 1 liter = 34 ounces -> ~8 tablespoons of course ground coffee
  • Heat up water to 195 degrees Fahrenheit (using a digital thermometer) - I typically have to unplug the kettle at around 192 F to allow for overshoot
  • Add the water to the grinds in the press
  • Let steep for 2 minutes
  • Stir
  • Let steep for an additional 1 minute
  • Press
  • Pour immediately



It tends to be delicious.

However, there are drawbacks to the French Press that I currently own which have led me to discontinue its use.
  • It is hard as hell to clean the press. The actual screen portion of it cannot be disassembled. If left for any length of time without cleaning, it gets moldy. Moldy such that I can no longer get it properly clean. This is why I have retired it.
The gross plunger from my french press
  • The coffee must be poured off of the grounds immediately otherwise extraction continues. This means that even though I can make 1 liter, I have to give half of it to my wife, and have to go through the process again if I want another cup.
So what makes French Press coffee awesome?

The grinds are allowed to steep in water that is the correct temperature for the right length of time. The person (or Engineer in this case) has control over grind size, water temperature, and steep time. Fantastic.

To me, the ideal way of making coffee would allow the same control as a French Press, but allow me to produce more than 1 liter, and allow me to enjoy it over the period of a morning (and be easier to clean).

What I have in mind is basically a PID controlled kettle used with a steeping vessel which empties into an insulated carafe.

Having done some research while writing this, I have discovered the Softbrew device, which appears to be brilliantly simple. This looks like it takes care of the steeping and storage portion of my requirements; all I need now is a PID controlled kettle. I have purchased the Softbrew device in the 12 cup size - when it arrives I will review it.

We will see if the softbrew satisfies me or not. Otherwise I will be designing my own coffee maker. Please comment away!




No comments:

Post a Comment